The storied history of the Shimano Sahara
continues in 2022 with the introduction of the Sahara FJ series of spinning reels. Designed for entry and experienced anglers alike, the Sahara series incorporates Shimano's HAGANE Gear for increased durability with the refinement of SilentDrive
technology for smoother reeling performance.
X-Ship technology within the Sahara series provides added gear durability during fights with hard-charging game fish. Compared to the previous generation, the new Saraha FJ is lighter in weight and boasts an entirely
new body and rotor design for extra in-hand appeal. The Sahara FJ features a screw-in handle and an anti-reverse switch, providing anglers with dependable performance while
pursuing their next trophy catch.
- G-Free Body: G-Free Body technology has been developed to shift the reel's center of gravity closer to the rod. By moving the center of gravity closer to the angler's hand, the G-Free Body helps to reduce fatigue and enhance casting comfort.
- HAGANE Gear: With amazing strength and durability, the HAGANE Gear is at the very heart of most Shimano reels. Shimano, through the application of state-of-the-art technologies, gives anglers the long-lasting smoothness and pleasure that is felt when anglers first use a reel, over and over again. No cutting work is applied to the teeth of the drive gear during fabrication, instead the entire surface is calculated in minute detail by special 3D-design and then formed by Shimano's cold-forging technology. The result is assured resilience. HAGANE Gear is the fruit of Shimano's inexhaustible pursuit for durability — the strength and power of forged metal continues to represent the fundamental concept of Shimano reels.
- Propulsion Line Management System: The most obvious component of the Propulsion Line Management System is the new Propulsion Spool Lip design. Through tens of thousands of casting tests and computer simulations, Shimano’s new spool lip design provides longer casting distances than a standard spool lip design while also preventing backlashes and wind knots from forming.
- SilentDrive: SilentDrive technology benefits from a total redesign of all functional parts focused on the drive gear, worm shaft and other parts. The goal: remove unnecessary noise and vibration. In doing so, the overall tolerances are improved to a micron level, ultimately creating an overall quieter and smoother reel operation.
- X-Ship: X-Ship provides improved gear durability. By supporting the pinion gear on both ends with bearings, the pinion gear maintains precise alignment with the drive gear. This allows the gears to stay in the same position under the heaviest loads. The added benefit of X-Ship technology is that friction between the spool shaft and gear are eliminated. This further benefits anglers with enhanced casting performance and casting distance of lighter lures.