The 2020 Metanium features a never before
seen Magnesium CoreSolid Body, providing
professional and enthusiast anglers with
the solid advantage of durability,
rigidity and sensitivity while reducing
weight. The MGL III spool reduces
spool inertia 17% over the previous
generation while still utilizing SVS
Infinity Braking for the ultimate in
adjustability and distance for all ranges
of lures. The Metanium now comes with a
brass MicroModule main gear for enhanced
durability and long-term smoothness.
Silent Tune reduces spool bearing
vibration to maximize casting distance and
improve cast feel. Completely redesigned
by Shimano engineers to be the most
advanced Metanium ever produced.
- CI4+: CI4+ is an advanced version of the original CI4. This highly technical material is 2.5 times stiffer than CI4 and is used to increase weight savings.
- CoreSolid Body: CoreSolid Body integrates the B-Side Plate, levelwind guard and frame into a solid once piece construction. This delivers an unprecedented feeling of rigidity and sensitivity, and is the first design of this type in a low-profile baitcast reel.
- Cross Carbon Drag: This drag material provides a wider range of drag settings, along with the smoothest Shimano drag performance ever.
- Hagane Body: The HAGANE Body is a metal reel body with high rigidity. The body stiffness and impact resistance virtually eliminates body flexing. The result transforms the angler's actions directly into cranking power. It's efficiency through strength.
- MGL III Spool: The MGL III Spool is an ultra-thin spool that thoroughly pursues low inertia. The spool has a reduction in inertia by about 15% compared to the second-generation MGL Spool by using a narrow shape with a width of 19 mm for the outer diameter of 34 mm. Resulting in unparalleled casting performance.
- MicroModule Gear: The MicroModule Gear system creates a smooth retrieve. The new gear set makes use of smaller teeth and more of them. This means that there are more contact points between the drive gear and pinion gear. The result is a more efficient gear train with less gear feel.
- S3D Spool: S3D technology leads to significantly reduced spool vibration. By designing a balanced and uniform thin wall aluminum constructed spool, S3D creates an incredibly smooth feeling when casting and retrieving lures.
- SVS Infinity: Shimano's newest innovation in brake system technology, SVS Infinity provides easy-to-manage, consistent spool control and brake force. With brake weights that use inner friction against the raceway during the cast, SVS Infinity controls spool speed for precision casting especially when using lighter lures. The external adjustment knob provides for quick, precise adjustments for either the conditions or when you switch baits.
- S A-RB: These bearings have been through the same process as our A-RB bearings, but feature shields on both sides of the bearings that reduce the possibility of salt or sand inhibiting the bearing's rotation.
- Silent Tune: By applying a slight pressure to the bearing holding the spool, it reduces the vibration of the bearing during high speed rotation. This realizes further quietness improvement during casting. Rise of spool rotation has become even smoother.
- Super Free Spool: Super Free Spool was designed to eliminate friction on the spool shaft during the cast. In standard baitcasting reels, when the clutch bar is pressed down, the pinion gear is freed and actually can drag on the spool shaft creating friction that can limit the length of a cast. With Super Free Spool the pinion gear is supported by a ball bearing so that when the clutch is disengaged in preparation for a cast, the pinion gear and spool shaft are kept in perfect alignment. The result is zero friction upon the spool shaft.
- X-Ship: X-Ship provides improved gear durability. By supporting the pinion gear on both ends with bearings, the pinion gear maintains precise alignment with the drive gear. This means the gears will stay in the same position under the heaviest loads. The added benefit is that friction between the spool shaft and gear are eliminated. This will enhance the casting performance of the reel with lighter lures, and allow for longer casts.